The Mediterranean Diet And Its Many Health Benefits
People often associate pizza, lasagna, and pita and hummus with the Mediterranean diet, but these foods couldn’t be farther from the traditional diet. When followed closely, this diet has been associated with various health benefits. This style of eating has been known as being healthy and inexpensive for years. Here are a few reasons why the Mediterranean diet harbors various health benefits and is easy to incorporate to your daily routine.
So, what is the Mediterranean diet?
The Mediterranean diet has been eaten historically for years in the regions of southern Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Spain. This diet is comprised primarily of fruits and vegetables, quality fats like olive oil, protein, and a glass or wine or two with a meal. While this diet is tasty, it has been know for preventing disease and being an enjoyable way to manage weight.
According to Dr. Axe, these are the most common foods found in the Mediterranean diet:
· fresh fruits and vegetables (especially leafy greens like spinach and kale and non-starchy veggies like eggplant, cauliflower, artichokes, tomatoes and fennel)
· olive oil
· nuts and seeds (like almonds and sesame seeds used to make tahini)
· legumes and beans (especially lentils and chickpeas used to make hummus)
· herbs and spices (like oregano, rosemary and parsley)
· whole grains
· eating wild-caught fish and seafood at least twice a week
· high quality pasture-raised poultry, eggs, cheese, goat milk, and probiotic-rich kefir or yogurt consumed in moderation
· red meat consumed on special occasions or about once weekly
· plenty of fresh water and some coffee or tea
· oftentimes a daily glass of red wine
How can I benefit from eating these foods?
This diet is natural high in foods with anti-inflammatory foods like plant-based foods and healthy fats. The Mediterranean diet can help prevent heart disease, metabolic complications, depression, cancer, type-2 diabetes, obesity, dementia, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Along with being a healthy way to loose weight, it is full of whole foods and low in processed foods and sugars. People who follow this diet have been known to be happier because it is full or probiotic foods that have been known to help cognitive function, memory, and mood disorders.
Overall, this diet can help you relax and actually enjoy your diet. If you’re looking for some healthy foods to incorporate into your diet that are actually tasty, be sure to try out the Mediterranean diet for some inspiration. We hope you learned a bit more about this tasty way of eating and the various health benefits it harbors!